Gel cell vs. Lead Batt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gel cell vs. Lead Batt.

I have twin 200 hpdi's and considering going to "Gell Cells" "deep cycles" for starting. Do I need to change / adjust my altnator for the "Gell Cell". I was told that I might need a different setting for my alternator on account that the Gells charge differently than Lead Battery's?

I would suggest Yellow Top Optima "AGM" batteries instead.
    When you research them you will see that the only drawback (if any), is AGMs can't take an over voltage. Test your alts to make sure the voltage is 15v or less. The best thing about AGMs is they hold their charge for MONTHS of inactivity.
    D31T is the one I use.
    http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/
    http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/...op_battery.asp
    Ted, in the Atachafala. Where gators get blamed for bull shark deeds.

Comment

Gell batteries are great for boats. Pricey however. One advantage is that when they get bounched around they do not spill. It is very impotent that you get the correct battery. Red Top is the way to go.

Comment

My friend has 3 Optima Blue Tops in his boat. He has 2 deep cycle and 1 starting battery. These have been in his boat for 4 years. When not useing the boat these batteries stay on the onboard charger. He has never had the first problem out of them.

Comment

I tried the OPTIMA batteries in a "go-fast" boat with a pair of BBC engines I had. They are overrated and over priced in my experience. In fact the CCA ratings are not accurate--the actual performance is lower than the stated ratings. They also require special charging procedure.

Check out TROJAN batteries--I switched to them and they are flawless. Primary use is in golf carts--if that says anything about how rugged they are--

For the same price you can buy two heavy duty higher CCA TROJAN's.

Comment

Working...
          X