Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40hp trim/tilt help?

Motor is a Yamaha 40hp 40ETLH

Problem is I need to replace the trim and tilt motor but can't raise the motor. I have released the manual release valve with no luck. I do not think it is frozen at the top pivot point by the steering system. I say this because it was well greased and new grease flows in good. Can the hydraulic ram/cyclinder become stuck?
    Suggestion anyone?
    Thanks Terry.

it CAN get stuck on your tilt tube... pull the pin from the top of the ram and lift motor by hand to see, if you can access the top pin.

Comment

Thanks I will check. Not sure if I can get to it but I will find out.

Comment

Thanks again jb123 but I was unable to get to the top pin on the ram. Still open to suggestions.

Comment

What year is your motor? There should be a fill plug in the resevoir, remove it then see if you can manually raise the motor. It sounds like some internal part may have broke down and got caught in one of the directional ports. If you can drain the resevoir collect the old hydraulic fluid for examination. If it has a multi color to it then consider rebuiding the pump. Then strain it to see if you have any particles which definatly indicates that it needs to be rebuilt. Hydraulic systems most be ultra clean for longevity and to work properly. Reason why I speak so much about the pump/piston is that if they do not work properly and smoothly it will put a stain on the motor. You may have dual problems.

Comment

Bay Catt, Thanks
            The motor is a 1987 and I have removed the fill port plug along with a plug at the base of the cylinder. I still can move the motor up or down. There was very little fluid in the unit when I started and it has off colored. Did not appear to be to bad but not enough to exam closely for particals.

I find it hard to believe but I can't raise or lower the motor with the fill plug and cylinder base plug removed and the manual release valve open. I am still pretty sure the pivot piont is not frozen.

Comment

Success, I did it. I was sure the problem was not the top pivot point but worked it each time as if it was. It was the problem and now have the motor raised and the T&T motor off.
              Thanks to all who offered advice.

Comment

yep, keep in mind the tilt tube and the top pivot on the cylinder can seize up, thats why the have lube points there.

Comment

I had know history on this motor as I got it as is no long ago. It did appear the tilt tube was well greased but I see now it wasn't. I have never had a problem with a tilt tube on my other motors so I was not real sure what was going on with this one.
                  You can bet it will stay good and greased now.

Comment

Working...
                  X