Hydraulic Steering Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydraulic Steering Leak

I have a some fluid leaking out of the steering column, and the last time I was out, I had to pour 1/4 of the quart back into the column. Is it time to replace the column? Is there a seal that needs to be replaced inside the column? Or is this normal? Thanks in advance for your suggestions and comments.

N

Yes, most hydraulic steerings have mechanical seals in them. Time to rebuild. Might get away with just the seals.

Comment

clean off and try to see where its coming from....could just need to tighten up your hose fittings. if it is leaking from outside, at the stem then you will need to replace that oring.

Comment

cool! thanks guys for the tips.

N

Comment

Steering is leaking around the seal on the rod from the steering cylinder attached to the motor. Mechanic says rod is pitted and the entire steering cylinder needs replaces--does this sound right or can I get by with replaceing seals and maybe changing to a "thicker" hydraulic fluid for the time being?

Comment

if the rod is pitted then you do need another ram as i dont think seastar or hynautic will sell it only, seals yes. new seals will only get damaged by the pitted rod. ebay for cheaper, but hydraulic is best.

Comment

I called up Seastar and they sent me out an o-ring for free. It may be an good place to start before you go and replace the rod
              Mako 211 w/225 Saltwater Series

Comment

Working...
              X