choke for 60hp Yamaha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• choke for 60hp Yamaha

I have a 2004 60 hp 4 stroke Yamaha. I was told by the boat dealer that this engine did not have a choke. The key switch has the feature where you would press in and turn for choking. Does
    this engine have a choke and how is it engaged?
    Thanks in advance

what does the owners manual say?
    if you do not have them you can download for free

Comment

JUST-IN-TIME,
      The owners manual states that you should turn key for 5 seconds and if it doesnt start wait 10 seconds and try again. Nothing about choke. This engine is very hard starting but once it starts it is fine for the rest of the day. I do pump the bulb before starting.

Comment

There's not a normal looking choke on the 50/60 four strokes. It's a system Yamaha calls "Prime Start" and it's all automatic, nothing for you to do. Pushing the key in doesn't do anything on these motors. Other motors may use that function to operate the chokes but not on this motor.
        If it's hard starting try cracking the throttle a 1/4" in neutral and turn the key to the ON position and let it stay there for a few seconds then hit the starter as usual. If you look on the side of the middle carb you'll see the prime start solenoid. The other carbs won't have it. If it's been a while since the motor was run the thing may be gummed up and need to be cleaned out with carb cleaner. There's small orifices in there for fuel to pass through that can get clogged up.

-Mike

Comment

Hamfisted
          Thank you for your explanation on the choke operation on the 60 hp Yamaha
          Dave K

Comment

Working...
          X