2000 OX66 150hp Clicks at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 OX66 150hp Clicks at idle

My 150 has done this for a while and I have just ignored it. I think its the oil injector, but really don't know for sure. It will just start clicking in time with the engine rpm. It either goes away, or I'm just not hearing it over the normal engine noise when I accelerate.
    Any ideas? It runs fine.

BD

best way is to run it at idle with cover off and find out what is clicking

Comment

Once you get the cover off, check to see where the sound is coming from. If its coming from the starboard side of the motor, towards the back, it might be that the draw tube of your Oxygen Sensor is clogged with carbon. If you remove the O2 sensor and draw tube, check to see if one end of the tube is shiny, which means that it has been rubbing back and forth and causing the clicking noise.

-- Tom

Comment

Bill, Same thing happened to me and it drove me nuts for awhile. I thought the noise was comeing from the #3 cylinder and was really concerned. It ended up being the simplest of things. I did not have a good connection from the #3 sparkplug wire to the sparkplug. I think I was getting just enough voltage to make the spark plug fire. The plug boots on the wire are a snug fit and it is hard to feel when they are fully seated on the plug. Remove the plug wire, check the screw on tit of the sparkplug for tightness and clean it if it has been arced, then check the wire end connector for arc marks(mabey even compress it a little), Then reinstall and start it up. Hopefuuly you will have the same end results as I did. If not here is a little trick to find the noise. Take a long screwdriver a place tip around the location where the noise is heard, then place the handle against your ear. Move the tip around untill you locate the noise. (BACK YARD MECHANICS). Or go out and buy an automotive stethescope. $5.99. Good luck

Comment

Hey Bill, a buddy of mine just read my last post and pointed out that I did not specify what was making the noise. The noise was created by voltage arcing acroos the gap between plugwire and sparkplug. Sorry for leaving that info out.

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate the replys and I'll give them a try.. could be a plug arc'ing.. could be that O2 sensor.. will try them both.

thanks
            BD

Comment

could be your lower unit not fully engaging into gear.

Comment

JB.. it does it in neutral as well as in gear.

BD

Comment

Working...
                X