siezed 1994 50hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• siezed 1994 50hp

I managed to lock up my 50 horse outboard jet. One or two weeks before it happened I had a fuel leak apparently at the fuel enrichment diaphragm which I replaced. I'm cruising up river when it seemed to have run out of gas (full tanks). I restarted...and it died again this time not wanting to turn over at all as if my new battery was dead. After ten minutes it started again and allowed me another mile of operation as if nothing was wrong...then did it again. At home I took off the exhaust cover and saw some serious scoring of the #2 cylinder, almost fused the rings. Other two cylinders were scored but not as bad. Drained the oil from the tank under the cowling and found it had about four ounces of water in the bottom. The oil filler cap had a bad seal, could this have lead to the destruction, or could the fact that I never changed the water pump (strong stream)in 12 years have done it? Oil consumption seamed to be at the normal rate. No heat alarms sounded. Would like to fix the cause when it's rebuilt. Ideas?

yes the water was probably the cause. check the oil pump and see if it was full of water also. your gonna have to flush the system with fresh oil. the oil pump might be locked up unless its has some oil in it.
    Michael Babuchna

Comment

Working...
    X