'88 Yamaha 115 hard starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '88 Yamaha 115 hard starting

My '88 Yamaha 115 2 stroke is extremely hard to start after it has set for a few days. However, after it finally starts, it runs great and starts up fine the rest of the time on the water. My Mercury 115 that I had on my old boat started right up. I have tried pumping the bulb until it was firm, choking, etc., with the same results. I have also tried only pumping the bulb once or twice with the same results. What do ya'll think? The engine has not been used very much at all over the years and it has plenty of compression, no fuel leaks, plugs look to be in good shape (I did remove and clean them). Should I install new plugs?

if you search back thru posts...there are many on this issue with the v-4`s, usually technique.pump ball till hard, no throttle and hold choke till starts, ENSURING choke closes fully.

Comment

Thanks J.B. It looks like I need to check my throttle plates and make sure they are closing all the way when I choke it from the driver's seat. Thanks!!

Comment

an 88 model 115 is not a primestart motor and you should raise the throttle some. hold the choke in while starting and maybe even bump it a few times after it starts if it wants to die.
        Michael Babuchna

Comment

Well, I did what ya'll said and it was still very hard to get started. Maybe some new plugs would help? I fished for about and hour or so and when I got ready to leave, it was hard to start again. Could the priming bulb be letting the pressure down too much? All these components (plugs, bulb, etc.) are several years old.

Comment

if you dont replace regularly, you are asking for trouble, as in all preventative maintenance.

Comment

a resynce job wouldnt hurt
              Michael Babuchna

Comment

Working...
              X