Help changing a water pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help changing a water pump

This is my first experience changing a water pump on my 1998 Yamaha 250hp ox66 efi motor and I'm not clear about what gets changed. I've read the manual and there seems to be a lot more parts than the water pump kit shows. Does the Yamaha 61A-W0078-A3-00 kit have all the parts I'll need? How difficult is this procedure for someone inexperienced but decent with a wrench?

The water pump has everything except for water pump housing and plastic bushing(61A-45538-00-00) on top of impeller(easily broken when tring to remove).
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

buy the metal collar also with the plastic bushing
      i just did my 200

i used a wrench that fit over the metal collsr to put back on

Comment

Can you post the Yamaha numbers of the housing, collar, and bushing? I'm having a hard time finding them. Thanks

Comment

i can not find your 250 1988 motor?
          it is not on yamaha's web page

Comment

The motor is 1998 not 1988 and the actual number is L250TXRW. This link should bring you to the parts page. http://www.boats.net/yamaha/partsyst...model=L250TXRW

Comment

i can tell you how to get the metal and plastic bushings off without tearing them up. firstpull the housing off the water pump. if the metal cup stays on the housing, thats ok. if it doesnt, put it back on. get a crescent wrench and adjust it to fit around the drive shaft on top of the bushings and tap them down a few times. now get 2 large regular screwdrivers. while pushing down on the white plastic bushing with one, pry up against the metal cup till it starts to move. turn driveshaft and repeat. it may take 5 or 6 turns or more but it will come up but only if you hold down on the plastic bushing at the same time.
              Michael Babuchna

Comment

number 26, 27

i would replace them
                my plastic collar was all salted up and a little worn
                it is very easy to get it off, u have to hold the plastic collar down to get the metal one off like slim said

Comment

Justintime...number 26,27...under which heading? I checked the repair kit 2 and all 4 lower unit headings and none of the 26,27 looked like the parts. Thanks

Comment

sorry anout that i looked at number 1

go to number 3 lower unit
                    number 29,28

Comment

28 61A-45538-00-00 SPACER
                      29 61A-45527-00-00 COLLAR, DRIVE SHAFT

Comment

Working...
                      X