Winter Engine Position (Stowage)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Engine Position (Stowage)

I searched the site and couldn't find anything concerning the position to stow the engine while my rig is out of the water for the winter.

I have a 2003 Yamaha 115 4sk that is wet from March to late December. During the summer months, I stow the Engine in the "max tilt up" position while not in use. I was told by a friend that I should stow it in the "down" position to keep oil in the gear box. I looked in the manual and it said to keep the engine trimmed up while not in use. So that's what I've been doing with no prob, during the warm months.

My question is, When the boat is trailered, dry and bundled up for winter do I stow the engine max up or at max down?? That same friend told me to stow it down to prevent the lower unit seals from freezing.

What to do?

if you DO store it up, be sure to use the lever locks to releive the pressure on the rams.

Comment

Thanks. I do that anyway, reguardless of duration of storage. I also use a my-wedge for trailering.

Comment

read the owners manual
        down!

Comment

Definitely down.

Comment

definetly down, by leaving the motor tilted up water can accumulate in the prop housing. You sure don't want that water to freeze in there as it could under extreme circumstances bust the lower unit. i have a 30" shaft on an ox 250, so when i jack the trailer all the way up so water can drain from the boat, the motor will not go all the way down. When the boat is stored this way I'll dash a little antifreeze inside the prop housing just to be on the safe side.

Comment

Working...
            X