V4 crankshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V4 crankshaft

Hi. Do you know if there is quality or durability difference between original and aftermarket crankshafts? Any negative or positive experience on welded or aftermarket ones...?

I need a new or good used 115 V4 6E5 shaft. I'd appreciate it if someone told me where to look for a good used one. Please send email if you have one for sale. Thanks

Check with twirehead. Member #2305. His last post about parts for sale was on 12-13-06. He has two 115's that went under in a hurricane.

Comment

hello
      i had 2 bad experiences with aftermarket crankshafts on yamaha 115 v4, 2002 and 1998 models, 2 blown engines , these boats are used for rentals.
      first one rebuilt at 1400 hours with aftermarket parts included crankshaft, crank bearings , gaskets...
      blown again after only 12 hours, bearings melted on crankshaft, like if no oil... ooops says the machine shop, crankshaft too soft, you can feel it when you "file" the crank journal,soft like warm butter versus the original crank.
      rebuilt for free... thank's mike
      1 week later, another v4 115 blown due to overheating, a plastig bag clogged the water intake, customer tried to go back to the dock with the buzzer(overheating alarm) full blast...i was pissed..
      engine rebuilt, bored, pistons,crankshaft, bearings, gaskets, everything aftermarket same brand, same machine shop, same mechanic.
      little breaking in,15 hours later, blown again, crankshaft bearings melted like if no oil, like the first engine... crankshaft soft like the first one.
      2 days later first engine blown again after 20 25 hours, bearings melted again....i was not happy at all.
      aftermarket manufacturer agreed , defective parts...
      i don't want to use aftermarket crank anymore...
      mechanic says: let's use yamaha crank and bearings , i just have to pay the parts price difference.
      ok.. let's rebuild the engines, labor for free under warranty.
      and now 4 month later ,the 2 engines are around 150 200 hours, works perfect...
      this is my experience about aftermarket crank.
      now i also used aftermarket crank on yamaha waverunners, they don't last as long as yamahas
      frenchy

Comment

Thanks. If I was buying a used shaft how would I make sure that the shaft is not an aftermarket one? I did not find numbers in the casting of one crank that I had a look at today. There was just a written code in the lower end.

Comment

hello
          it could be aftermarket and good too, specially if it is used.
          i am still using aftermarket parts, but not everything.
          i do not remember seeing any kind of number on the casting , they looked exactly the same, now be careful, there are two different models, make sure the cone diameter on one end is exactly the same as your or you will have to replace the flywheel too.open your eyes
          if you want i can give you the sizes , i have to make search
          frenchy

Comment

Hi Cyrillefrenchy and others. How is the hardness of aftermarket (Pro Marine) piston pins? Have you had trouble with them? I assembled a Yamaha block with new bearings and shaft but put in Pro Marine pins. Cyrillefrenchy's story started to worry me after the work was done and now I'm thinking whether to replace the pins with Yamaha ones? I'm I overreacting and losing my sleep for no reason...

Comment

hello yamaha v4
              i am using a lot of pro marine parts for my fleet of boat and waverunners rentals,all yamaha engines, never any probleme with piston pins.
              with the pistons itself, yes,1 time 1 was too long just a few 1000/inch and at very high rpm, the piston was hitting the bottom of the sleeve, destroyed the wrist pin bearing and the rod bearing, start to damage the crankshaft, i stopped right a way, not too much damage.
              the engine has been rebuilt at no cost under warranty, thank's pro.
              if you wat give me a call at 001 727 360 8669, ask frenchy.

Comment

Working...
              X