Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suddenly can't select reverse... v4 115

Hi there...

Murphy's law - a week before we head up the coast and my '88 115 Yamaha has suddenly decided it will not select reverse. I am at a loss to associate this failure with anything; she ran like a dream last weekend until, back at the ramp she simply would not shift into reverse.

12 months ago the shift shaft was replaced and has been perfect since. Dog clutches were re-cut 24 months ago.

I disconnected the shift cable and can operate the selector from F to N and back with very little resistance - but the selector just won't go back from N to R.

None of the local mechanics will have time to even look at her before Christmas. Help! I could really do with some ideas before I start pulling things apart.

Thanks

-David

When shifting by hand at motor turn prop while shifting to align clutch dog. If wont go into gear then it's probably a problem in lower unit.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

My mechanic has just advised that the lower unit has failed due to ingress of water and some so far undiagnosed collapse. Gears and drive shaft are damaged, bearing carriers scored. Looks like a new lower unit right now.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
      X