2002 60hp bogging down after extended idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 60hp bogging down after extended idle

Idles great and also runs good at top end but having trouble with engine loading up after letting idle for 4-5 minutes. Cannot get on step after loading unless I raise the fast idle for 30sec or so then it will get on step. If I don't let idle for 4-5min engine runs great but seems to burn excessive fuel. Had carbs professionally cleaned and adjusted, choke replaced, fuel pump diaphragms replaced, compression checked, plugs changed, fuel line replaced and even tried different gas tank. When engine loads up I noticed all 3 plugs are very wet. Any suggestions would definitely help.

Sounds like it is running too rich. Need to take it back to where you had carbs done and have them recheck carb synchronization and adjustment.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

My mechanic tried that with no success. I also need to mention I purchased the motor used. I was told no work was ever done on the motor but is it possible someone put the wrong jets in the carbs.

Comment

That may be it should have # 65 low speed jets and # 140 main jet on top 2 carbs and 145 main on bottom carb. These numbers are stamped on the jets inside carbs.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the info. What about reed problems. What's the proper procedure for checking the reed's if this could be a problem.

Comment

not sure it would run at all with bad reeds. ensure strong spark, and also recheck fuel pumps and if you open carbs check float level.

Comment

if it was bad reeds, u will see gas mixture blowing out of the carbs

Comment

Working...
              X