Gas is pouring out the overflow while running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas is pouring out the overflow while running

I've got a '99 yammie F15 that has been sitting for about a month. When I'm starting it up, and while running, gas is pouring out the top of the carb out of what I'm almost positive is the overflow. Any suggestions for the cause? I called up a local marine place and they said it is probably dirt that is preventing the needle from closing all the way. Yall have any suggestions? If it's just dirt in the carb, I'm pretty confident I can do it myself. While i've never worked with boats before, I'm a pretty competent 2stroke dirt bike mechanic. Thanks.

Could be a piece of rust or trash that got stuck in the needle seat area. I assume you don't want to remove the carb? Pump the primer bulb firm and tap on the carb bowl, then remove the drain plug from the side of the bowl and see if you can flush the trash out. Maybe spray some carb cleaner up in there through the drain plug hole and see if the spray will blow it free. Other than that I'd say pull the carb off and clean it out thoroughly. Good luck.

-Mike

Comment

I took off the carb, sprayed the crap outta everything with carb cleaner, cleaned out what crud i could see, reassembled everything and it worked like new.

Comment

Working...
      X