hamfisted/ken water pres. relief valve, direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hamfisted/ken water pres. relief valve, direction

i can no longer run a 2001 ox-66 on muffs, it overheats. tried two different kinds of muff, pressure from one side only and a dual feed.

i changed the thermostats, pulled lower unit checked water pump (only a year old) it looks fine to me. did a search here on poppit valves (water pressure relief valve). bought a new one with the mushroom head on one side. confusing installation instructions from the search.

does the re-designed valve with muchroom head go towards the motor/power head or do the fins go towards the power head?

when i pulled the old one out their was no trash in the opening. finally, i also bought a new grommet, the old one seems hard to get out? it also seems to me that with amount of spring tension, if i install the new one it would just be pushed through and end up in the passage way. maybe their is a ridge in the back of the passage way so that will not happen....don't know the old one is still in place.

ps: i backed her down the ramp and put the motor down and started her up. no buzzer, still a mystery why i can't run on muffs.

also changed the water pressure relief valve, re-used old grommet, installed with mushroon facing motor and the fins in the spring. that was a alot of fun

Comment

How's the water pressure on the hose you use for flushing on the muffs? Yes, use the dualfeed type muffs on the V6 motors for adequate water volume. When using the muffs do you see water coming out the overflow holes at the top front of the lower unit? You should if there is adequate feed through the muffs. Those are just a few things to look at.
      Well, at least you got the new PCV in there now.

-Mike

Comment

I change my waterpump and stats yearly, but to each his own....

Comment

i see water coming out of the pee tube, and hole on starboard side of lower unit, plus water is coming out of the muffs on each side....guess i need some kind of professional muffs.

did i install the poppit correct, what about re-using the grommet which is what i did.

Comment

The grommet just pops out with a screwdriver or hook tool. Yes you can re-use it if it's still soft and not deformed. There is a lip on the front and back of the grommet so once it straddles the hole it won't go anywhere. Yes the mushroom head goes in toward the block. Do you have a water pressure gauge installed? I think that's always the best way to monitor the health of your waterpump. I just use the dualfeed style muffs from Tempo, nothing special. Have at least 40 psi of water pressure on the garden hose feeding the motor.

-Mike

Comment

i think i'll try using a Y fitting from a garden hose and put one side on the the muffs and the other to the washdown located on the bottom port side of the cowling. might be a better way to go...what do you guys think?

Comment

problem solved...running motor in driveway. i made up hose assy. that goes to the muffs on the lower unit and one that fits in the quick washdown under cowling. fired it up....no buzzers after about 5 min. ps i used quick disconnect fitting to make hook-up a breeze.

Comment

Working...
                X