Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2000 YAMAHA F100TLRY Discovery Questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 YAMAHA F100TLRY Discovery Questions?

I am going to look at a used and hopefully an accurately described low hour (100hrs.) 2000 Yamaha 4 stroke engine this Saturday for purchase. The marina will run the motor and also perform a compression test prior to sale. The catch is that it's 600 miles from me, so I was wondering what type of compression readings I should be looking for as well as any other observations I should focus on prior to closing the sale. Any assistance from you knowledgeable 4 stroke owners or mechanics would be greatly appreciated.

4 Stroke Yams are good engines and durable. You didn't say what size or model. Model # for a 2000 should end with Y. Only things I can think of to visually check would be to look closely at all mating areas for signs of assembly other then factory. Make sure engine is cold befor they start it. Smell the exhaust at start up for an unburnt gas smell. After it is to full running temp go thru the rpms quickly from idle to the max they allow you to run it at, if prop is in water do this with prop engaged. Look for color distortion which will indicate overheating. Shut off engine with prop engaged then move prop from side to side to check for excessive play. While running tilt motor up, wait a couple minutes then tilt down and wait for a couple of minutes, listen and feel for a shudder. 4 stroker use little gas and it takes awhile for gas to flow from strainer to cylinders. And the most important of them all, ask for gaurentee. I would ask them to install it on your boat as part of the deal, they are the pros at this. Even though 100 hours are low your still buying a used motor. Don't know what the prior owner did as far as regular maintenance. I bought mine with 28 hours on it, owner was dying from cancer. Very happy with it, now have 110 hours and still runs like new. Regular maintenance is the key. Even looks like new. Good Luck my Friend

Comment

Thanks for the info Bay Catt. Motor is a 2000 YAMAHA F100TLRY

Comment

Working...
      X