Removing head water jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing head water jacket

1990 150 Went through all the steps from this forum to quiet the overheat alarm. Am now going to remove the heads and jackets to do a proper cleaning next month. When going through the troubleshooting steps, I delt with a stubbon bolt on the termstat housing and had to do the "remove broke bolt sequence". Corrosion under the cowling is present but not bad. I did a check on the 5mm jacket bolts and some loosened easy and a few seem "unwilling". Seems like I should remove the heads first? Any advice from the experienced folks on this fourum on what to expect and the proceedure when removing the heads / jackets will be greatly appreciated.
    19.6' Predator, 90(?) Yamaha 150 ETLD, Stock in every way, Water pressure Gauge, Runs great, Lots of PM, Salt water operation. Aircraft mechanic..

If you have unwilling M6 bolts in the jackets try putting the whole head in an oven. A little over 100 degrees Celcius will make it very much easier to undo the bolts but will not burn the paint. 250+ Celsius is enough for replacing a sleeve but that changes the colour of the paint. If you have a short torso of a bolt sticking out of the threaded hole weld a drop of steel onto the bolt (MAG). The heat of the welding will loosen the bolt a little and it is easier with right tools to grap that welded end. And heat up the whole head in this case also.

A vibrating pneumatic or electric tool is good if you can limit the torque right. Don't bend the bolts with the tools - turn them.

Let us know how it went. Good luck mate.

Comment

Working...
    X