Faith In a Yammy??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faith In a Yammy??

I am a new boat owner. I grew up fishing. My dad had the old smoky 2 stroke Envinrudes. I am excited about my new 20' Carolina Skiff with a 2004 F90. But....I am not having too much faith in this motor at this point. Per my previous post (http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/c...c;f=1;t=003379)
    I am having some major problems with a motor that has simply sat for a year.

I have had: weed whackers, 2 stroke Evinrudes, Jeeps, etc. start after sitting for a year. In fact, today, I started up a tiller that has sat for over 18 months. It took a few pulls, and smoked a little, but it still started up.

So, the point of my post is this: I know how high everyone speaks of Yammy outboards. The guys I fish with all have them. But...why, after 12 months, does the damn fuel pump, VST, and injectors all need to be replaced??? Why is this motor that sensitive to 1 yr old gas? Is this a motor that can be depended upon?

I am not knocking Yamaha but, to be honest, I am not feeling that confident at this point.

Thanks for any reassurances....

Dave.

well its not just your motor. its all outboards. 2 and 4 strokes. carbed, efi and di's. the reason is they are making fuels cheaper nowadays so it takes fewer days for the fuel to start loosing octane and began varnishing up. i know of only one way you might be able to save the pump and its very dangerous but can be done safely because i am still alive and kicking and done it numerous times. remove the vapor seperator tank. determine which wire leading to the pump in the tank is the positive and which one is negative. hook up jumpers to these wires. take two batteries and hook up in series(24 volts) clip the positive lead on to the 24 volt positive and just touch the ground to the battery ground the purpose of this is that 12 volts is not enough to spin the pump so your going to double the voltage to try to break it free. if it does spin, let it run for about 3-4 seconds and then hook up to 12 volts and try it. if it spins at all, replace it on the motor and try to get running. if it does not spin with 24, trash it. there is no hope. as for the injectors, hook them up to a battery just like the pump above but to only 12 volts. hook buth leads up to the injector and positive up to the battery. keep touching the ground to the battery until the injector starts clicking. if it does click, it can be cleaned. PLEASE REMEMBER TO BE VERY CAREFULL. WORKING WITH FUEL AND VOLTAGE IS VERY DANGEROUS. let us know how it turns out.
    Michael Babuchna

Comment

Working...
    X