Steering question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering question

I have an 89 200 and the steering seems to be "skipping" and sticking. The wheel will turn and skip but the motor doesn't turn. It will then catch and be hard to turn but eventually break free. Any advice on where to start to diagnose this problem. It is weird as it seemed to happen right after I greased all the fittings. Coincidence??? It is a teleflex 18' cable. Also, does anyone know how to get the steering wheel off? I took the nut off and the wheel won't budge. Is there a trick to remove it or is it frozen on?

your gearbox is probably slipping and you need to put the nut back on, flush with the shaft and tap it firmly/SQUARELY with a hammer to break it loose...or remove with a puller.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. The nut is back on. I will loosen it to make it flush and try the tap method. I will then check the torque on all the bolts.

When the boat is in the water, it seems to be more of a sticking problem and when on land, it seems to be a skipping problem. I would like to clean and regrease the steering connection at the motor as well. Do I just disconnect the linkage, loosen the bolts and slide the arm out of the motor???? Is there anything I should know or is a straight forward procedure?

Comment

as long as you have clearance to pull the cable out of the motor it is easy. i have had to slide some motors to the side to get clearance. when out, (I) use a long bit with steel wool on a cordless to clean out the tilt tube. then gease heavily and reassemble. also grease the steering pin, verticle motor pin. if youre anywhere around salt, do the cable once a year.
        if you have gear slipping, you may need to replace steering box.

Comment

Too late. I didn't have clearance and the nut was frozen on and the cable was twisting and it is from 89 so I decided to replace it anyway and cut off the old one.

Now, since I have no cable, which one should I buy and does the new cable come with the steering box? Also, I still can't get the steering wheel off. I don't want to have to cut that off too. LOL. Any advice?

Comment

lube it and tap or use a puller. they both are costly and are sold seperate.

Comment

Hi, do yourself a very big favor, IF you intend to keep this boat for more than 3 years, Install a hydraulic steering system. The maintainence is cut to a minumin, and you will have trouble free, EASY, steering for years. It is well worth the extra money, and very easy to install
              Happy thanksgiving, Dennis

Comment

Working...
              X