250 Head Gaskets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250 Head Gaskets?

Are there more than one thickness of head gasket that can be used on a 93 carbed 250? I have 2 different heads on the motor and port side reads 90psi and starboard reads 80 psi. A thinner gasket might bring it up to 90

Thanks

No, head gaskets are only available in one thickness.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Did they make heads with different compression that will fit the 250s? Maybe I just need to replace the starboard head with one like the port side. I'll see if they have different part numbers. I have no idea where the heads came from but neither of the paint matches each other or the block. One could be from an OX66 motor.

Comment

Can you give me more spacifics on your engine?

Comment

Its a 93 carbed 250 with 2 different heads on it. It runs great but port side reads 10 psi higher than the starboard side

Comment

yes there were two different heads for that motor but the wrong one would not have clearence between the dome and piston and would make a very loud racket when cranking or running. they have had several different paints and now arent painting at all just a primer coat. so the heads should be the same and your problem could be more like blowby or cylinder scarring.
            Michael Babuchna

Comment

These heads have been on for years and there are no noises or problems at all. Its hard to believe that all 3 starboard cylinders wore out at the same amount to drop 10 psi. Maybe the port head had been shaved at one times. I should just look for a matched set and bolt them on.

Thanks

Comment

both the heads have 61A00 stamped on them. Next to the #6 head bolt there is a circle on each head with this stamped:

X99 on the starboard head and

62J
                01 on the port head.

Now I'm really comfused

Comment

if you think the compression difference is the heads...... swap`em n see.

Comment

Working...
                  X