Choke operation on yamaha 90 hp 2 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choke operation on yamaha 90 hp 2 stroke

Hello, I have a 2006 yamaha 90hp 2stroke and I am wondering if my choke is working. The motor is hard to start the first time I crank it and the rest of the day you can look at it hard and it will crank. I know to push in the key but how do I know its doing anything. When the motor is warm and I push in the key it does not change the rpm of the motor so it makes me think it doesnt work. I know it is some kind of an enriching type of choke and not butterfly operated. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Joe

Joe take the hood off and look on the port side of the carbs, on the middle one you'll see a solenoid thing, the top and bottom carbs won't have it. That is your enrichment device. Do you pump up the primer ball firm before trying to start your motor? You should. But you can test that enrichment solenoid with a digital ohm meter between the blue and black wire it should read 2-4 ohms. See if the blue wire is getting 12v when you push in the ignition key too. Other than that it just may need to be cleaned out with some carb cleaner if it's sat a long time without being run.

-Mike

Comment

joe. this system is not a choke at all. all you do is turn the key. the enrichment solenoid is open at initial start and closes slowly during warm up. no they dont start as fast but as in all the major brands of motors, they are all trying to make it more user friendly. so just pump your ball and turn the key. its all you do. pushing in the key has no effect and you wont get any voltage out of the blue wire by doing so. voltage is only there while turning starting or after it is started.
      Michael Babuchna

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys, I do pump the bulb untill hard before starting. This motor is like 3 months old, and has only been to lake like 5 times. The yamaha dealer says I need to push in the key to start so its like he thinks it has some type of choke on it. Im goimg to look at what Hamfisted said check and see if I have this. I do know that I have a blue wire coming from the key switch (model 703) that gets 12volts when I push in on the key.

Comment

Read your owners manual. Down load one if you do not have one. If its like my 2002 Yamaha 90. Pump bulb firm, turn key for 3 seconds (starter turns), pause, and turn again. The moment you turn key second time it will fire right up and be good all day. Mine fires right 100% no problem. All electronic.

Comment

Thanks for info Bobber, and I have read my owners manual and no were does it say to push in key for cold starting or about any type of choke (manual or electronic). But Im getting conflicting info on proper operation. Some say to push in on key some say it does nothing. I have ordered a service manual for 06 yamahas and will see what it shows.I just wanted to see what people on this forum thought. But as you can see by the other post on this topic one says it does work and one says it does nothing. The saga continues.

Comment

Did you pop the hood off, and do you see the enrichment solenoid there on the middle carb? What's your email I can send you the chapter describing the test procedures. But if the motor is brand new it could be a setup or adjustment or just technique that's giving you trouble.

-Mike

Comment

i know a 2004 90 has a electrothermal valve. now for a 2006, im not sure. an et valve is not a choke or primer system. it closes slowly as the engine warms up. to find out which one you have, take off the hood and unplug the blue wire from the carb. hook up a meter to it, turn on the key and push it in. if you get 12 volts, you have a primer system. if you get nothing, crank it up. if you get voltage now, you have a et valve and pushing in the key will do nothing.
                Michael Babuchna

Comment

Slim thanks for your input and keeping us straight. Yes the '06 is the same as the '04 motors. Yes it looks like the ET valve pulls voltage off the rectifier after the motor is started. This voltage warms up the element inside the ET valve and causes the shutoff pin to expand out and close off the enrichment route for the fuel (takes a minute or so for it to warm up...). So I agree pushing in the ignition key probably does nothing. They use the same ignition for several different applications and the C90 doesn't use that function. There is an emergency bypass valve on the front of that middle carb to open the enrichment passage if the auto feature fails. You could possibly try that method and see what kind of results you see (it's discussed in the owners manual under the emergency section...).
                  Afer you get your service manual you can run through all the adjustments and settings to make sure everything is setup correctly. Although if it's an '06 motor you might just take it back to the dealer and let them straighten it out.

-Mike

Comment

Now were talking, This is the kinda info I was expecting. Hamfisted and Slim, Thanks for the info. I will check this tomorrow. I purchased my boat package from a new dealer here (cheapest around) but they are not the sharpest people around and I know more about it than they do. The yamaha dealer that has been around here for years said they would look at it but seeing how I did not purchase it from them I would be on the back burner and not a priority. This and I just want to know my motor is why I want to check it myself. Thanks again Joe

Comment

One other point to add to the accurate information already discussed, is that you will have better cold starting if you keep the throttle completely closed. This is different than what we probably have been doing all these years with other model motors.

Once you get the starting figured out, you will be very impressed with the motor's starting.

Comment

I have owned my 2006 Yamaha 90 for 3 months and am having the exact same problem. The latest my dealer tells me is that the engine must be perfectly level when starting. The service department's latest word is that the key must be pushed. The salesman says you prime the bulb and go. It don't go -- the last time out took about a minute to start and it ran rough at first. It is in the shop now, but I am not sure they know what to look for.

I look forward to hearing what you find!

Comment

ok to start this motor, prime the bulb first. do not raise the throttle. after priming the bulb, just turn the key. it should start withing 5 seconds or so. if not, prime the bulb again and retry. make sure your electrothermal valve is set to the right position. if this doesnt help then let us know.
                          Michael Babuchna

Comment

I had words today about the no-go starting with the owner and mechanic. I am suppose to pick it up next Wednesday. They assured me this issue would be looked into before it left the yard. Will post their findings then.

Comment

Thanks again guys for the info. I have checked everything like yall said and your right the keyswitch does not have any affect. I have learned to pump the bulb untill hard and I hear fuel going into the motor and she starts cold within 3 to 5 seconds. I think before I was not pumping the bulb enough to hear fuel going into the motor and that was my problem. I guess you just have to learn your motor. Thanks again guys Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X