charging system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charging system

I have a '92 115 engine and I don't think the charging system is working. I have checked the battery voltage before starting and after it is running and I see no increase in voltage. could someone please email me the proceedure for testing the charging system. also is there any place I can buy a good shop manual for this engine? thanks.

first of all if your tach is working, then your charging system is working. first clean your battery terminals very good. nice and shiny lead is what i like. then just use a meter to check voltage at battery while running. raise the rpms to see if the voltage increases. it should rise up to about 13 to 14 volts.
    Michael Babuchna

Comment

my tech is working but when checking battery ( before and after start up) voltage it is usually about 12.4 volts and when I raise the rpm's it stays the same, I don't see any rise in volts at all. it sounds you are saying that if the charging system isn't working then my Tech won't work either, is that right? I have a on board charger that charges the *****ing battery and the engine battery on seperate lines so I not having a problem with dead batteries. but with no increase in volts with the engine running fast I think I would if I didn't keep it on the charger ever night. as I ask before is there good shop manual I can buy covering this engine?

Comment

i can tell you this. dont waste your time with anything but a yamaha service manual. call a dealership and order it from them.
        Michael Babuchna

Comment

thanks for your help, I found a factory service manual and have it coming. I do agree, anything but a OEM manual is a waste of money.

Comment

Working...
          X