2001 yamaha efi ,tach.and tps problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 yamaha efi ,tach.and tps problem

The multi-function gauge first. This tachometer has the "Set" "Mode" buttons that I never use ,and the trim/tilt bars on the far right of the gauge works fine, the tach readings work fine, but on the "Key on only" engine not running, one oil bar shows for a second and disapears but the water bar(extreme left) comes on and continues to blink, one bar all the time(engine not running) but blinks while running. My question is what color wire from gauge carries the water info. from what? the temperture sensor via the computer? How can I test? Now for the tps. All voltages check out okay except one ,when I put the remote arm down from neutual to wot and it maxes out at 2.4v,but the Clymers book says it should be 5v ,and its a little erratic getting to 2.4v,how important is this reading? Engine runs great at wot but the rpm does appear to drift at times a couple hundred rpms at the 4200 level.Engine has 132 hours on it and has had all the fuel related items done to it,new fuel pumps ,plugs,new orange caps,all filters clean,fuel pressures right. Just trying to work out these final bugs.any thoughts are appreciated. Also on the way down with remote control to wot,I get a buzzing sound from engine ,on the way to the 2.4v (engine not running)

ok buzzing sound is normal. the tps sensor works on 5 volts. on other words. the comp. is sending the sensor 5 volts. the output is variable. this is the steps to check and set it. with a meter connected to the pink and orange wires and the throttle in neutral with idle screw backed off all the way, you should get .5 plus or minus .02 volts. if this is not what you have then loosen the sensor and sdjust it till you get this reading, snug the screws and snap the throttle open and closed a few times to make sure it returns to this voltage. now to check the sensor, hook up to the same two wires and while slowly moving the throttle linkage by hand, watch the meter for any sudden jumps or drops. if this happens, replace it. this check is much easier done with a analog meter not digital so you can watch the needle jump or fall. if it does move eratic, replace it and set the new one as described above. you should be getting 5 volts out of the red wire.
    Michael Babuchna

Comment

Working...
    X