Wedges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedges

I have a 1997 Yamaha F50 which I recently put onto my 20ft Hardy Pilot boat. Even at full revs I can only get the boat up to around 8-10 knots. Other Hardy owners with similar sized engines achieve a much higher speed. The prop is correct with max revs ok. I read somewhere that a wooden wedge under the transom and mounting bracket can provide for a improved Prop/water angle and improve speed
    Anyone had any success
    Regards
    Den

Den-

Is the "wedge" you are referring to intended to raise the motor vertically, or to change the angle of the lower unit as it relates to the transom? If the latter, I presume your motor does not have power trim and tilt?

Unless your prop hub is slipping, and I don't think that is the case, I'd look at the height of your motor or the length of your lower unit. The Hardy 20 certainly looks like a planing hull and so your ventilation plate, when your motor is set to neutral trim, should be level with the lowest part of the transom or a little above it. The lower unit should be set to neutral trim, or perpendicular to the water surface when the boat is planing. If you don't have power trim and tilt, then a wedge *should* be employed to gain neutral trim if necessary. Most motors even without power T&T have enough manual adjustment to gain neutral trim unless the transom really has a really radical back-angle. I'd be looking more towards the motor height or lower unit length.

Comment

Working...
    X