'95 150hp Yamaha breaking up @ 2K - I think it's electrical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '95 150hp Yamaha breaking up @ 2K - I think it's electrical

My '95 150hp Yamaha is breaking up at 2K - I'm dropping a clinder or two & I can't plane. While trying to plane the boat, I hit my trim switch and low and behold, it no longer broke up & I was on plane. This only lasted 5 seconds & it started to break-up. I tapped the trim and again no problem.

I checked the voltmeter on my fish finder & it registered 14.2 when it ran without a problem but I noticed as soon as it started to breakup, the volts jumped to 14.9.

Any ideas?

clean your battery posts and check the fuse holders on the motor. make sure the fuses and holders are clean and make sure the fuses fit snug in the holders. if loose, squeeze a little at a time with pliers till fuse fits tight.
    Michael Babuchna

Comment

I'll give it a try. I did the usual checking spark plug wires & coils but I'll take a run through the fueses as well.

Comment

dont forget to clean the battery cable ends at the battery and battery posts. scrape them with a knife to get the lead good and shiny.
        Michael Babuchna

Comment

I was fishing at night when my problem first occurred. I tried cleaning my battery terminals (with my shirt of course) but I will hit it with some bronze wool. I had similar problems with a Mariner a number of years back and cleaning the battery post always seemed to work.

I'm just concerned that it could be a bad powerpack - I don't want to go down that road.

Comment

the best way to clean any battery terminals or cable ends is to scrape them with a knife till shiny. dont forget about those fuse holders.
            Michael Babuchna

Comment

Working...
            X