gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gears

This is a 1990 200hp Yamaha. With the motor off and shifter in reverse the prop can be turned backwards or forwards and makes a clunking sound. With the shifter in forward gear the prop will not turn by hand (freely anyway). Goes into forward gear fine with motor running but not into reverse as well and of course it has no real torque at the prop when it is in reverse. Thinking of replacing the lower unit since the torpedo has a crack but wanted some expert opinions first.
    Thanks for any help.

are you sure it is fully engaging into reverse? unhook the cables at motor, find neutral and push forward and back, checking it each time.also, visually check the shift shaft just above the lower unit , thats where they will rust out and may be on its way out. i think they went to stainless in `94.

Comment

yes, i'm sure it's engaging. makes a clunking sound when engaged in reverse like it's hitting something inside. Sound is at the bottom

Comment

have you had it off? did the sound just start? i've had someone remove there lowerunit and change the waterpump themselves (and save money right). when the lowerunit was reinstalled the person that put the lowerunit back on had the upper part of the shift shaft splines one tooth off and that changed all the shifting adjustments. the shade tree couldn't figure it out and brought it to me and i fixed it for him.

Comment

sounds to me like your clutch dog and gear might be worn. how do you shift into gear? slow or fast?
          Michael Babuchna

Comment

fast shift. yes just started after some carb problems that forced me to do some hard shifting to keep from hitting a dock and someone else's boat. twice. no it hasn't been off.

Comment

well if its a 90 model, its possible you do have a rusty drive shaft and it twisted on you. the other possibility would be the clutch dog and gear is worn. more likely the shift rod though. keep in mind, if you have to change the upper shift rod, and if your reeds are vertical and not horizontal(depending on the model, you dont have to pull the entire powerhead to change it. just the intake.
              Michael Babuchna

Comment

thanks for the comments

Comment

hey slim, you must have some really good hearing if you can start out by saying "sounds like bla bla to me" you sound like some piece of work... i read how you will "challege any person, with any problem, with any yamaha" best of luck to you SLIM

Comment

hey there protagy. your one to be speaking. doesnt "protagy" mean something like "a highly talented one" or "something extraordinary"? no wait thats spelled prodigy. protagy must mean something like the one who wants to be "the highly talented one". hahahaha yeh. to this rest of yall, this is a joke.
                    Michael Babuchna

Comment

joke? do you hear any1 laughing? i don't.

Comment

i guess we will have to settle this when its about 35 degrees and we are waist deep in water. hahahahahahaha
                        Michael Babuchna

Comment

Working...
                        X