Oil Mixture vs Injection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Mixture vs Injection

Can the injectors on a 200 hp be bypassed and just use a 50:1 mixture or is it better to let the injectors do the mixing. I get worried that if one quits then I will have real problems. Maybe I am worried about something that is not necessary. Any thoughts appriciated.
    Don
    Don

From what I have experienced so far and also from reading here is the oil inj system on our Yamaha motors is excellent. I was also told by my local guy who did my shift rod and I get some parts from that the oil inj actually does not mix in the Carbs but introduces it in the combustion chamber. If this is true, that is a great feature. If there is a lean condition or another fuel delivery issue, like when starting up, the motor is getting lubed at all times.
    I have also learned here that the system is extremely reliable.
    2000 Wellcraft 270 Coastal Tournament Edition
    Twin 2000 200 OX-66

Comment

Thanks for the input. I just don't want to be replacing a power head. I will check my manuel and see if it does mix in the chambers.
      Don

Comment

it actually is injected directly behind the carbs in the intake. the yamaha oil system is the best out there in my opinion. i worked on yamaha motors for 13 years and saw one failure do to lack of oil and it was actually a user error. so i wouldnt worry about taking it off. plus at idle, your only using a 200/1 ratio so if you do idle alot you will be wasting oil and possibly fowling your plugs. my opinion, leave it on.
        Michael Babuchna

Comment

slim you said you been working on yamaha outboards for 13 years. do you have to unbolt the motor from the transom, lift it up to take the trim/tilt unit out for repair. Dann

Comment

what year model is it?
            Michael Babuchna

Comment

if you have the omc style trim unit you dont have to. to tell the difference, look at the oil resevoir. does the fill cap unscrew by hand or does it look like a bolt head(17mm). if its the thumb cap you can remove the whole unit without removing the motor. if it has the bolt head looking plug, no. you have to remove the motor from the boat to get to the back bolts on the motor. however, you dont have to spread the brackets but it is easier if you do.
              Michael Babuchna

Comment

1991- 90hp yamaha 2 stroke precision blend model tlrp- code 6h1-l Dann

Comment

Slim, thanks. I will take your advice and leave it alone. I have found that a good mechinic knows what he is talking about. I can work on a car motor but do not totally understand the outboards.
                  Don

Comment

Working...
                  X