Yamaha fuel valve leaks air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha fuel valve leaks air

I had a Yamaha 8 on a previous boat, with an external tank, and now have a Yamaha 5 with a small internal tank and a fuel valve fitting for an external. Both engines work great -- when they get gas -- but I have the same problem with the external fitting that I had with my other Yamaha (it's the same fitting design).

The problem is the fitting loses vaccum and stops drawing gas in. It works at first but after I disconnect it and connect it 2-3 times there is a pin on the engine side of the quick connect fitting that knicks the rubber grommet seal on the fuel line fitting, lets in air, and loses vaccum so I have to keep pumping the bulb to get gas to the engine (at least I think that is what happens). I have tried gingerly to keep this from happening, and I really don't think I've knicked it but it still does it with time, even if I've not taken off the line. I've gotten so frustrated that I no longer use the external tank, only the small internal and use the external tank to manually refill the internal tank every hour or so when on a long trip under motor.

Oh, one time I cut the line halfway and inserted a nipple there where I could connect and disconnect but over time the fitting at the engine end still went bad. I've also used grease around the engine fitting rubber washer but that only works until the grease dries. Aaarrggghhhhh!

Am I doing something wrong, is the Yamaha just a poor design, or what? Anyone else have the same problem, and how have you solved it?

well i know yamaha did change there fuel fittings(hose ends) back about 3 or 4 years ago and the new ones are alot harder to connect. is the 8 an older model? maybe talk to your nearest dealer and see if you can replace the motor connector.
    Michael Babuchna

Comment

run it direct if possible, i woud ALWAYS remove any extra junctions that werent necessary. you could coil the line and keep it connected on the motor.

Comment

Working...
      X