• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter changeout of oil

If I have put on only about 25 hours on my outboard
    T9.9 four stroke, is it advised to change out the
    oil for winter storage?

Also, if the same engine was run in only fresh water, is it necessary to chnage out the lower
    gear oil for winter storage?

Yes if there is water in lower unit you don't want to leave it in all winter. If you do find water in it the lower unit would need to be resealed.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

sherwin,
      Since you have only 25 hours on that outboard, the lower unit oil does not need to be replaced, just check for water intrusion.
      After the outboard has set up for a couple of days (in the vertical position - not tilted), slowly back off on the drain plug and let a little bit of oil out. If there is water in the lower unit, it should be at the bottom and come out first.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

OK, you guys have clarified the gear oil issue. What about the engine oil? With only about 10 hours
        of running this season, is it necessary to change the engine oil on my T9.9 four stroke? Does the oil
        deteriorate just by sitting in the engine over the winter?

Comment

Since your supposed to change the oil at 10 hours anyway, if it were me , I would change it..It cant hurt!

Comment

This is not the first winter I have stored the engine, so the oil was changed last winter. Of course changing the oil won't harm the engine, but it might be a waste of time.

Comment

if its not the 10 hour break in, you dont need to change it.
              Michael Babuchna

Comment

Working...
              X