Tilt down but not up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilt down but not up

had my 94 70 hp out for a few hours when near the end of the trip I could not keep the motor in the water, it would trim/tilt up by itself... I had to keep my finger on the trim/tilt button just to keep the motor down long enough to get back to port...

it was a rough day so the electronics were getting pretty wet so I assumed it was just a short in the electrical system. Now however, The motor will only trim down and not up. When I push the 'up' button I can hear the relay clicking but no motor action. Tilt/trimming down works fine.

is this just electrical or could it be mechanical/trim/tilt motor related?

thanks

jim

unhook each trim switch at a time,see which stops the raising... probably the rear one on motor got wet.

Comment

jim,
      That clicking you hear is the "up" relay trying to apply 12 volts to the t/t motor - and you probably have a bad up relay.
      You can take a voltmeter and monitor the voltage on the "wiper" of the up relay. This will be the contact that has a wire that goes back to the t/t motor. When you engage a t/t switch to the "up" position, the wiper of the up relay should come off its ground contact and swing over the the contact that has 12 volts wired into it and thus provide a path for the 12 volts to the t/t motor.
      If you measure 12 volts on the wiper contact when the up t/t switch is engaged, then the relay is doing its job and you have a possible bad t/t motor or associated wiring. Or you could have a down relay not providing a ground path for the up mode. Check the down relay for loose or corroded wire connections.
      If you do not measure 12 volts on the wiper of the up relay when the up t/t switch is engaged, then you have a bad up relay, or 12 volts is not getting to the wiper contact that is hard wired for 12 volts. Check all relay contact connections for loose or corroded terminals.
      Again, from what you experienced with the t/t motor, and assuming your t/t switches are both working now, I would say the up relay is the most likely suspect.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

thanks Ken and jb for the good advice, I will work on it this weekend and post an update..

thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X