'RPM Reduction' - 'Slow Mode'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Lou,

I have this same engine in an 1989 verion also on a 17ft whaler. I just looked at the CDI under the small cover. This basicaly a sealed unit encased in epoxy of some kind. I don't baking it will do the trick. Remember that this get pretty warm just from normal operation. And you say this happens for the first 15 minutes or so, unitl it get hot. Maybe a strange fuel thing. Try draining the carbs, could be some stuff in there sitting in the bottom of the bowl, then gets churned after running a while. Acctually I would clean/drain every thing, small fuel filter, and water separtator. Worth a shot, better Baking a $500 part.

Jon

Comment

so...you add oil to the main tank under cowling ??? so then you only have 1 oil sensor? thennnnnn where is the other harness to the aux oil tank ??????? if this is the case the it is also your problem.

[ October 13, 2006, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: jb123 ]

Comment

jb, a 70 doesnt have an external oil tank. just one on the motor.
        Michael Babuchna

Comment

wow.... guess id just assume the system was similar to the rest.

Comment

JB, the 90 has about a 1 gallon tank under the cover with the sensor. Kind of works on gravity in conjuction with the standard gear diven oil pump. I can burn about 60 gallons of fuel or so out of one tank.

Lou, have you tested the coils and wires? unusual for them to go bad but salt will take it toll on wires

Jon

Comment

Well for now problem solved - I baked the CDI unit at 220 deg for about 30 min to eliminate possible moisture intrusion, and then sprayed it with a conformal coating. Problem gone! I have used the boat for 3 days without a hitch. Now the decision is this a permanent fix, or should I replace the CDI... Thanks for all of the input - Lou

Comment

Working...
              X