Cold Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Start

What is the proper way to cold start a yamaha engine using the electric choke. I have a 150 HP 2 stroke engine with electric choke. Model number D150TLRV. I have had the electric choke adjusted twice and still fail to be able to start using the electric choke although it functions with linkage closing butterfly's. I have evolved to using the manual choke and have absolutely no problem starting. Since having this problem I have spoken to three other people with yamaha's that have the same problem and also have evolved to using the manual choke after going through what I did having choke adjusted by dealer more than once.

when working properly, the choke, whether manual at the motor or by switch do the same thing.do you prime your seperator, filter and bowls first?what yr motor and is yours a kewswitch or 703 toggle button?

Comment

well a v model should be a push key to choke. prime the bulb till hard. turn the key on and push it in. while holding in, turn the motor over. when it fires up it will most likely want to die. push in the key for a split second and it should stay running. keep pushing it in till it doesnt want to die. to repeat. the only time your holding the key in is while you are cranking. after it start you will just give it a quick push and release.
      Michael Babuchna

Comment

speck,
        Try taking off the air intake silencer and observe the choke plates.
        Compare the closing of the plates with manual vs. electric choke. You want the plates (butterfly valves) closing COMPLETELY when the choke is engaged - if not, then adjust the linkage.
        Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

while someone is holding the choke on. see if you can move the choke linkage up any more. also verify the the line on the solenoid plunger is lined up with the edge of the solenoid while the choke is not on. if it isnt, loosen the bolts on the solenoid and move it till it does line up.
          Michael Babuchna

Comment

Thanks to all jb123, slim, and ken. I have done all linkage checks again and changed nothing, my primer bulb never has been a problem and I of course always prime till hard. The hold in key for choke seems to be what I have been missing. I have been just pushing in once or twice while cranking, not actually holding in. Holding in until motor actually starts, then hitting again if motor attempts to kill has worked just fine on my last two cold start attempts, sucess I have never had in the past.......

Thanks
            Speck

Comment

Speck,
              Yeah, the "hold-in" for choke is not intuitively obvious - glad you figured it out [img]smile.gif[/img] .
              Ken K

Comment

Working...
              X