winter storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winter storage

My 87 70ETLH will be stored in a barn for about 6 months. I will fog the motor and change the fluid in the lower unit. I have also been running stabil in the fuel for the last week. I am not too sure what is the best way to service the fuel system for storage. I could drain the carbs to prevent varnish in them but i am concerned this could cause the gaskets and seals to dry out and crack, or i could just leave them and hope that the stabil keeps the fuel from gumming up. Any comments??? THANKS!

Hi Batman,

I am about to do the same thing, store it for the winter. I do bit differnt for year and works great

1. Stable in the gas,

2.Fog

Comment

Hi BAtman,

I never finished the reply, then side got tracked by my bride... I do the following every year;

1.Stable in the gas and run it last day out.

2.Start to run dry with out gas line attached, as it dies, begin to fog at the same time. It will run and smoke.

3. take spark plugs out of each cylinder, then spray into each cylinder, and a bit more through the carbs.

4. Turn over a few times with no plug wires to evenly distribute the fogging oil.

5. drain and inpect lower unit, and refill

6. This year I will drain as much out of the gas tank as I can into my jeep. To avoid water build up for ethenol.

7. Also wait unitl next season to replace water separator. But will empty the old one.

the best Jon

Comment

According to the latest issue of Seaworthy from Boat U.S., they recommend either COMPLETELY emptying the
        tank, or filling it to about 95% if you are using
        gasahol. The full tank helps keep water from forming. Even a small amount of gasahol in the tank
        can accumulate water and cause problems the following season. I think emptying the tank completely is the best choice, if that is possible.

Comment

i like to run the motor and as it starts to die, choke it and keep choking till it will not run any more. then pull the choke out all the way and still try to start till it wont even think of hitting on any cylinder. then do the fogging oil treatment. if you give it just a little gas while choking, you will suck even more gas out the carbs. if you do this, you should be ready to go.
          Michael Babuchna

Comment

Working...
          X