Mounting 10 micron filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting 10 micron filter

OK I bought the Yamaha 10 micron water seperator filter and housing for my SX150TXRA as recommended by Yamaha. Now where do I install it? It does not fit inside the motor compartment. My boat is a Seaswirl Striper 1851dc. The bilge has two batterys and a 30 gallon bait well in it. I do not see any accessible area that I can reach. Any suggestions.

Westy,
    Yeah, I just went thru this with my 19 foot Pathfinder. I installed a Racor (they make the filter for Yamaha) and had no room in the bilge area.
    I installed the filter on the transom. You want to have the hose from the tank feed the filter, and then the filter feeds the primer bulb.
    Here is a link on a DIY network that should be helpful:

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/bo_mai...278144,00.html

Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Thanks Ken I'll give it try

Comment

I am considering the 10 micron filter from either
        Yamaha or Racor. The lowest prices I have seen on
        these are about 65 dollars. If water separation is
        not an issue, is there any low cost inline 10 micron
        filters available? I have scoured the internet for
        them, but maybe I missed something. Do 10 micron
        filters require a larger case, which would account
        for my not seeing any small inline models?

Comment

sherwin,
          Water separation is even more important now that a lot of us are having to burn ethanol blended fuel.
          Take a look at this link:

www.marinefilters.com

This is where I got my Racor - they have a good selection, and if I recall correctly, they have a small 10 micron water separating filter that is good for up to 115 hp.
          I like the Racor with the see-thru bowl so that you can inspect for water on a regular basis and drain as needed. If you get very much water in your main tank, you need to drain it as well, since the ethanol in the blended fuel will absorb it more so than the gasoline and then will "phase separate" or layer out of the gasoline and settle to the bottom .
          Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
          Ken K

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Ken.

Only problem with these Racor's is that you cannot
            see the fuel itself. Some of the models show the
            water extracted, but not the fuel. I like the inline filters that show the fuel flowing, which is
            another reinforcing feedback in addition to the
            pressure on the squeeze bulb that you are getting
            gas to the engine. Unfortunately, these filters with the nice windows only go down to 40 microns.

Comment

Working...
            X