Open Engine Flushing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Engine Flushing Question

While in the process of troubleshooting an overheating issue I now have the t-stat housings off, the PRV off, the lower unit is off. Installed a PSI unit. Should I now flush out the water jackets?? Is there a check valve in the main water tube? Water doesn't freely drain from FROM that tube. Appears to be some sort of blockage there. When should water come from the square relief holes on the back of the engine? ANYONE have knowledge on this issue...Please
    19.6' Predator, 90(?) Yamaha 150 ETLD, Stock in every way, Water pressure Gauge, Runs great, Lots of PM, Salt water operation. Aircraft mechanic..

What motor do you have, sandflyer ?
    Ken K

Comment

The water exits through the exhaust inside the upper casing. If you have the pressure control valve apart then most all the water will exit there.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Sorry bout that Ken... It's a 1990 150 V6 It appears that there is some sort of restriction in the water tube just above the water pump housing.
        Is that normal? I can't find anything on the parts breakouts. Something is definitly in that tube.
        Thanks
        19.6' Predator, 90(?) Yamaha 150 ETLD, Stock in every way, Water pressure Gauge, Runs great, Lots of PM, Salt water operation. Aircraft mechanic..

Comment

possible that you have part of an impeller in there...I THINK you can blow air back thru and down to try to clear it, not sure if the tube is easily removed or not, as Ive never had to deal witrh that one before.Have you had this motor long ? How ong since it ran at normal temps?
          is the impeller shredded or missing pieces? if so, you most likely found your issue.

Comment

Working...
          X