Too much oil in crankcase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much oil in crankcase

I have my 2006 250 4 stroke serviced professionally.
    not long after my last service I began having trouble, like water in the fuel. Short story took it in to the dealer said fuel starvation due to fuel pump calibration. Took it to the FL Keys for 4 days and problem again. Back to dealer, just called and said over full on oil. Question: Will the overfull on oil have damaged any internal parts, bar spark plugs? Any response is appreciated. Shouldn't the dealer have checked this when it was in the first time? I'm not pointing fingers I just want to make sure the engine is still unharmed.
    Mitch

I havn't had any major or long term problem's come up from a result of adding too much oil on a four stroke engine. If the engine was smoking then it may have fouled out spark plugs. They can check the plugs to see if oil fouled.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

how many hours do you have on this motor. if it is not fully broke in yet, all 4 strokes will "make oil". in other words. some gas will get by the rings and mix with the oil in the oil pan causing the oil level to rise. for the first 10 hours add about a half qt. less then what is recommended. the best way is to fill it slow and check the dip stick after each half qt. added. fill it to 1/3 of the way up between the two marks. you shouldnt have a problem after this.
      Michael Babuchna

Comment

Turns out the mechanic that did the 100 hr service added two quarts of oil too much.
        Plugs were not oil fouled however they were brownish in color with white edge on the center electrode?????? Replaced them to be safe. Runs excellent at all RPMs now. Thanks for all the feed back.
        Mitch

Comment

Working...
        X