ProV 150 Conked Wouldn't Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ProV 150 Conked Wouldn't Start

Took my boat with 1986 ProV 150 out today, ran great didn't miss a beat. Decided to sit for a while and take a swim, rest up, etc. Engine sat for approx. 15 minutes. Fired up but quit 2 or 3 times. After that nothing. Acted like no spark or no gas. Removed filter screen, everything was clean. Squeeze ball solid. Filter full of gas all gas lines firm and full of gas. Cranked repeatedly with no start. Had to be towed in. While being towed checked all connections attempting to start, nothing. When I got home I checked for spark at one if the plugs and got nothing. Put plug wire back on. Few minutes later just for fun, hit the key and engine fired right up. Connected hose to lower unit, motor continued to run like nothing was wrong. Anyone have any idea what electronic/electrical part might be causing the problem? Thanks

you really need it to happen again to isolate the issue. if and when it does, unhook the main harness at motor and start by powering the brown wire at the starter relay. sounds like an issue with your main harness, kill switch, neutral switch or keyswitch to me.

Comment

Craig,
      I agree with jb in that problems like this are hard to fix until it happens all the time.
      Check your ignition kill switch - mine had the opposite effect - would not kill ignition - took it apart and it was all corroded up.
      Also, check all fuses (I think there are two under your hood) and fuse holders for a tight fit.
      Check all connections to the CDI for integrity - no corrosion and tight.
      Also, check all connections to the battery for corrosion and tightness.
      Other than that, you may have a thermal problem with the CDI - hope not. Next time the motor acts up and you have checked all of the above, try squirting some electronic parts cooling freon (available at Radio Shack) on the CDI - if the spark returns right away, then problem with CDI.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Are there any known electronic/electrical flaws or deficiencies in the 86 ProV 150, (field change orders, recalls, etc.) Thanks

Comment

youve got a 20 yr old motor, still on the road, consider yourself lucky !!

Comment

I got the exact year and HP motor and have had the same problem on several occations, but it doesn't happen frequently enough to narrow the problem down. The only thing I found, is that it's getting fire and starting fluid is the only solution it geting it fired up. I do notice a lot of smoke shortly after startup. Like it's getting too much oil in the cylinders. I agree with the last posted message. We're lucky they run at all being 20 years old. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

depending on the throttles, i would switch out or bypass the neutral stops and kill switches, they could be the culprit.... happened to me once in the bahamas.

Comment

well i believe an 86 has the cdi that you can disconnect the wires off of and not just plugs. if it does. unscrew the screw holding the white wire on and make sure its not touching anything, this will bypass all kill circuits. if it starts now, while running, the key switch in the on position and kill cord on, touch the white wire to where you took it off of. if it stops then you have sorta narrowed it down. it can be one of three things. the key switch, kill switch or your main harness. another test - you might try moving the harness around from where it enters the hoodpan to about 3 or 4 feet towards the control box. i have also seen broken wires from years of the harness bending. honestly about your motor being an 86 model, compared to todays motors, i would rather have yours anyday. where i used to work here on the gulf coast, we had alot of motors used on comercial boats like crabbers and shrimpers. we had seen customers with as much as 30,000 hours on there motor. so dont feel like yours is wore out. 1200 hours is nothing if you run it like you should and take care of it.
                Michael Babuchna

Comment

Working...
                X