Sudden stop on Yama 130 '90 2 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sudden stop on Yama 130 '90 2 stroke

Today I was running my Yamaha 130 '90 2 stroke near full throttle when it emitted a loud clang and a sort of bump bump and stoped suddenly. I mean the engine ceased to turn all at once. It ran great right up to the end. The temp warning system was working and did not sound. No lights lit on the gagues. The power head was warm, not hot. The oil resovoir was 2/3 full. The impeller was new and water was flowing out of the hole. The prop spins in neutral and does not in gear and the bottom leg is new(from you) si it is not the trans, right? The flywheen can be spun by hand but not for a full revolution. It stops solidly at a certain point and will not turn unless I back it up. Then it turns only to the same place. If it is in gear when I rotate it the prop spins so I believe the crank is in one piece. Odly enough the flywheel did spin for more than one turn one time but banged to a stop on the next one. The starter gear works normally and does not block the flywheel.
    One second it was great, the next jammed solid. What are the possibilities? I wonder about a rod but there are no holes in the block. What do you suggest I do to figure out what the problem is? Is it certainly junk? What are the possibilities? Is there poverty and a new 4stroke in my future.
    Thanks for the help
    Rob

I vote poverty and a new 4-stroke!

Clanging is never good. I guess age just caught up to it.

You could pull the sparkplugs out and see which ones have aluminum glued to 'em.

Don't try to force it to spin. The block may still be salvageable, but sounds like the internals won't be.

Sell it for parts on Ebay? You said the lower unit was new right?

-Mike

Comment

k, the first step is to pull the plugs and look for alum. or a closed gap. after determining which cylinder it is, pull that head so you can see how bad the damage is. if its not to bad, you could probably get this motor fixed for 5-6 hundred. if the sleeve is scared up pretty bad, it could possibly still be bored and a oversized piston and rings put in it. i gaurantee someone will buy it for parts if its to bad. i would.
      Michael Babuchna

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I did just that. The plugs were perfect so I put a rod into each cylinder in turn and turned the crank by hand. The last one didn't move. I pulled the head as you instructed and saw that there was a nearly perfect looking piston under there. Close inspection revealed aluminum filings loose in the cylinder and some bad pitting around the edges. It had hit the squish ring and was not connected to anything. Since it was toast anyway I pulled it like a cork by drilling a shallow hole and setting a screw in the piston that I used to pull it out. It was not pretty down there!!! I took pictures. If there is a way to send them I can. They are interesting. I now keep the crank and piston bits in a bucket and use them as a big maracca. The piston broke at the wrist pin. The rod gouged the sleve then the block in several placed but did not puncture it. The crank still turns! Overhaul approx $2500 complete and shipped. I think I will take out a mortgage on a new 4 stroke. No smoke, less noise. Why not. I will be selling the carcas because it has a new trans ( brand new factory complete), fuel pump, Oil black box, Oil level sensor and newly rebuilt carbs. Should I sell all at once or piece by piece? I am not prepared to pack and ship really big things like this. Ebay? Notes in the grocery store? I live in Marathon FL so we have boating folks here.

Comment

Kahoona,

Best to sell this in pieces. A newer LU (from factory) can sell 600+ on ebay and wont be to hard to ship. some other indivual parts may fetch good prices, Carbs 100+, CDI 100+, power Trim 300+ Cowl 100,plus other parts like starter etc. Unfortunatly you are at the very end of the season for most of the country. This will impact your prices. Hey I am loooking for a 4 blade 18inch prop, Got One

good luck
          Jon

Comment

Working...
          X