ProV 150 Oil Tank Level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ProV 150 Oil Tank Level

I have a ProV 150, I think it's an 86. I just need to know if the oil injection tank on the motor should be full all the time.

Thanks

it should be up to the mark? on the container, maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch below the top. if it doesnt stay there, then you may have a bad sensor in that tank, bad connections or bad pump in aux tank.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, jb123. Do you know where I can buy a new oil level sensor?

Comment

Ive found the best prices here, but ensure your sensor is bad , as theyre not cheap.

Comment

I'm having some difficulty troubleshooting the oil system. The main tank has a full mark and a low mark. When the oil level gets to the low mark, the red light on the tach lights up and the buzzer goes off. I disconnected the float assembly and the float itself is oriented with the magnetic portion facing up. Does it matter which way the magnetic portion is oriented? I tested continuity with an ohm-meter. There are four wires on the float assembly connector. I put the negative lead of the meter on the black wire of the float assembly and tested the other three wires with the positive lead. When the float is in the top or middle position, there is continuity on the respective wire but there is no continuity on the remaining wire in the lowest position. I'm not sure exactly how this float is supposed to work. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

craig. if you look at the float very closely, you will see sort of a white ring on one end. this is the top. as for your problem, you need to check the filter on the aux oil tank first. this is the most common cause for the slow or no oil transfer. i have seen bits of the paper seal from the oil jugs numerous times. if you dont have access to a new one, you can wash it out with a little gas and blow threw it backwards (opposite the arrow) with about 50psi of air. you wont hurt the filter. try this first.
            Michael Babuchna

Comment

also, if you pulled that sensor out of the main oil tank, make sure the foam seal is on the bottom of the filter when you put it back. i have seen powerhead failures due to pushing it down in the tube under the filter. there wont be a warning signal for that. also, make sure your arrows are aligned.
              Michael Babuchna

Comment

Thanks for the help slim. I'm still having difficulty with the main oil bottle, (the one on the motor not filling up before the low oil buzzer sounds). The aux tank is clean, filter is clean and pump works fine, (oil level comes up fast on the main tank when momentary switch is held in the on position). The oil control unit, (the black box with the momentary toggle switch is new). I lightly sanded the brass tube, made certain the float was installed correctly, (magnet facing up), can't determine why oil tank on motor doesn't start refilling before alarm sounds. Got me tricked, anybody have a wiring schematic for the 86 motor? Thanks

Comment

(Quote from BOATS.NET)
                  If you can feed oil into the engine's tank using the emergency toggle switch
                  (key must be ON...) then the problem is with the switch inside the engine's tank.
                  If you can not fill the engine's tank using the emergency toggle switch then the
                  problem is with the wiring harness or the remote tank's pump (rare).

Comment

Still having trouble with the oil system. Previous owner of motor stated that he replaced the oil control box (little black box with momentary ‘on’ toggle switch). I’m not getting the correct resistance readings according to the manual. The control unit I’m working with has one extra wire, which is white with a black stripe encased in a light gray sheath. The previous owner taped off the end to insulate it from ground and left it lying at the bottom of the motor. The Yamaha manual for 1986 does not show this wire. Could the previous owner have purchased and installed the wrong control unit for this motor? Got proper ohm readings at both oil reservoirs and pump works properly when momentary toggle switch is engaged. What do you think?

Comment

Working...
                    X