2001 225 4 stroke leaking oil from drive shaft, HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 225 4 stroke leaking oil from drive shaft, HELP

I brought my 225 4 stroke (I have twins, other engine is fine) to a mechanic and he said it needed a new oil pump, pump was leaking. The oil never acculated in the bottom of the cowl, just leaked out of a little hole on the leg, above the prop. After a 1100.00 bill, it still leaks. Mechanic said he called Yamaha and they said sometimes the shaft is scored due to saltwater and needs to be replaced, engine has 300 hours. I never heard of this, I thought they were made for saltwater. Any ideas? It's a slow leak, 4 quarts of oil after 12 hours of constant running, but it leaks even when engine is shut down.

Did the mechanic what the shaft looked like when he had it apart? Was it scored?. I'm not in a heavy saltwater area but I havn't seen any rusty shafts.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

what shaft is he reffering too?
      Michael Babuchna

Comment

It the shaft coming from the engine down to the leg. Its leaking right under the cowling bottom, no oil is in the cowling, but runs down the drive shaft and leaks out the weeping holes on the leg. The shaft looked ok so said.

Comment

Working...
        X