Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1992 225 Yamaha trim went up and then stopped working - Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 225 Yamaha trim went up and then stopped working - Help!

I went to launch my boat, turned on the battery switch, and the motor went up by itself - and kept trying to, then stopped. When I use the switch - it just clicks when i push it down, and does nothing going up. I replaced the switch allready - and the new one does the same. The trim motor always worked fine - now I have nothing. I have constant power to both relays - and when I push the switch - the test light goes on - on the other terminals - whats the deal here??!! Thanks, Jon

Jon,
    Sounds to me like you have a bad "up" relay.
    Also, check all the fuses under the hood - there are probably two of them.
    Good luck, and let us know how you come out [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

thanks Ken, the two fuses are good - the bottom relay is the one that clicks - soo..is that the bad one or the one that does nothing? Or are they both bad? Thanks, Jon

Comment

Jon,
        When you push the switch down and hear the bottom relay clicking, that is the "down" relay applying 12 volts to the trim motor. But the other relay, the "up" relay is stuck in the on position instead of the off position which would normally provide a path to ground for the t/t motor.
        From what you have said, I would replace the top relay.
        Ken K [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

it worked! Thanks very much for all the help, Ken - all it needed was the "up" relay. Thanks Again!, Jon

Comment

Working...
          X