F200 Winterization Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F200 Winterization Questions

I am considering doing the winterization myself on my F200, and have a couple of questions:

1) the owner's manual says to drain all the water out. Is that just a matter of tilting the engine all possible ways so that it drains, or is there more to it?

2) the owner's manual says to fog the engine via a fogging hole in the intake silencer (if available). I did not see any such holes, although I did not look at it too closely. Are there special holes for fogging oil? Or do you just spray it into the intake itself? Also, since the two intakes look to be completely separate, do I get two cans of fogging oil and do them at the same time?

Thanks, and any other advice for a first timer would be appreciated too. I'm fairly familiar with auto and tractor engine work, but not with this motor.

Tim

Yes if you tilt engine down the water will drain out. There are no holes in air silencer for fogging, you would have to remove air silencer to fog.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks. So do I need to fog it via the intake? Or is just shooting some fogging oil into the plug holes and turning the engine over enough to do the job?

T.

Comment

Bump - sure could use some advice here! Thanks.

Comment

To be a little more specific, the intake silencer, on each side, appears to have two inlets interleaved between the 3 runners that lead to the throttle bodies. I was thinking about just getting 2 cans of fogging oil and squirting them simultaneously into the top inlet on each side, and letting the air flow do the rest. Is that going to cause any problems?

Tim

Comment

are you planning on leaving this motor set up all winter or is it possible to run it on the hose? if at all possible, just run it once a month for 15 or so minutes. this is the best way. if not possible, remove the plugs and turn over with kill cord off. this will suffice.
            Michael Babuchna

Comment

No such luck Slim - the boat will be about 200 miles from home, and the average temp runs about 15 degress, so the hose doesn't work very well. You can't see it too well, but I'm talking about spraying into the intake silencer, part # 16 here: http://www.boats.net/yamaha/partsyst...mponent=397074

There are the 3 tubes heading to the throttle bodies, and the two shorter tubes interleaved with them appear to be the intakes.

Tim

Comment

no you should spray it ion the spark plug hole, pull the kill cord off, put the plugs back in a turn it over.
                Michael Babuchna

Comment

That's easy enough to do, but the owner's manual says pretty explicitly to fog it, so I'm getting conflicting advice - confusing. The intake silencer is plastic, so the only thing the fogging would be doing that spraying the cylinder wouldn't is getting the throttle bodies themselves. Confusing.

Tim

Comment

Hey Slim, I called the dealer I got the boat from, and he's of the same mind you are - just pull the plugs, spray fogging oil in there, and then turn the engine over a few times to distribute it. He didn't like the idea of spraying fogging oil in the air intake on a fuel injected engine, and I was concerned about that too - don't want to gum up the throttle bodies or anything. Funny that the Yamaha manual says to do it that way.

Apparently when they do it in this shop, they actually just use a separate tank of gas / oil mix and hook it right up to the fuel line - probably to save labor in not having to pull the plugs.

Tim

Comment

Working...
                    X