250 hesitation underway in ocean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250 hesitation underway in ocean

We were caught in 6ft close choppy waves off New York south shore Sunday and had trouble with 250 on back of 25 ft Mako. Dealer says when we took water over the back, the engine hesitation or monentary stop is similiar to what would happen if it had a potato in exhaust pipe. It always kicked right back in each time (hesitation only about 5-10 seconds). Never ran into this before when out in ocean. When we got back into the Inlet about 11 miles later (calmer water) the engine was fine.
    Anyone hear of something similar? Could the engine completely shut down in these circumstances?

i guess because you didnt pay your dealer you didnt get a great explaination but in rough seas, you may have a loose cowl and water possibly shorted out a plug or three temporarily,possibly you have junk in your carb bowls and the seas moved it around, really hard to pinpoint an issue like that, but a potato in the exhaust???

Comment

Clogged VST filter. My OX66 did that until I replaced it.

Comment

that filter costs about 50 bucks. all you have to do is blow it out with compressed air. if you have a boat filter(racor), change it. if not, get one soon.
        Michael Babuchna

Comment

Working...
        X