1998 Yamaha 200 Oil Linkage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 Yamaha 200 Oil Linkage

I have a 1998 200 Saltwater Series 2 outboard that I rebuilt this summer and now has about 20 hours on it. Runs great, but it is smoking excessively at low RPM's only. I thought it would go away when I took it off double oil at 10 hours, but it hasn't. Compression is 116 on all cylinders, I replaced the fuel pumps, thermostats, carbs have been rebuilt and floats adjusted, there is no oil coming out the oil tank overflow into the breather box so the oil line check valves appear good, the timing is correct, and no plugs are fouling so the oil pump seal appears good. The only thing left that I can think of is the oil pump linkage. I had a local dealer set the oil pump linkage for me. The linkage is not against the stop, but at idle the pump arm sits approximately 3/4" from the stop. Is this correct? I spoke briefly to another mechanic who thought it should be 2-3mm from the stop at idle. What is the correct way to set this? The manual I have has you setting it at wide open throttle? Any thoughts?

should be at the stop at neutral.

Comment

Thank you very much. I adjusted the linkage and that took care of the problem.

Comment

you might do a little more investigating. i am a former yamaha mechanic of 13 years and usually it is 100% against the stop only when you back the idle screw off all the way on #2 carb.
        Michael Babuchna

Comment

Working...
        X