Sunk at the dock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunk at the dock

I just got a call from my neighbor, my 1985 V-20 Wellcraft with 200hp Yamaha sunk at the dock,in Lake George in 8ft of water! I bought the boat and motor new. The motor was awesome, never one problem in 21 years! The only good news is that the motor was not running and it is fresh water.

I want to work on the motor as soon as the boat is raised, to minmize the damage. It may be a few days (or longer) before it gets to the Yamaha dealer.

Any suggestion on what to do are appreciated.

Thanks, Rick

Hey Rick,

Really unforunate.... I have been to LG many times, also from NJ Montvale. How will you raise the boat from 8 ft under? What ever you do not try to turn it over by cranking the starter with plugs it. I had small old evinrude sink when I was **** in Upper greenwood lake. I dried it out and sprayed oil into the cylinders the then tried to turn it. I dried as much as I could and got it running like new. The your Yam is much more sophiscated and complex. The ignition and electrical/gauges may be gone. There are other on this forum that may be able to provide more help. The local Yamaha dealer should guidance. Most unfortunate...

Good Luck Jon

Comment

Rick,
      Sorry about your misfortune - but at least it is fresh and not salt water.
      I pretty sure your owner's manual has a procedure in it detailing what to do for a submerged motor.
      I've never had to do it - but here are some things to consider:
      I believe you are suppose to pull the plugs and squirt fogging oil into the cylinders and carb throats and turn motor over by hand. You want to get as much of an oil coating on the cylinder walls and inside the crankcase as you can.
      I would also squirt something like WD-40 on everything that is metal on that engine block.
      Also squirt any wire connections and wipe off excess on plastic, rubber, or wire insulation.
      Any "bullet" connectors, I would disconnect and dry and squirt WD-40 on metal parts and wipe off excess - you are trying to get rid of as much moisture as possible.
      I don't think your lower unit should have been affected, but better to check for water intrusion anyway - drain and refill.
      Pull the fuel line from the carbs and clean out the fuel filter. Drain the carb bowls. Attach the primer bulb to a small (six gallon) tank and pump fresh fuel thru the filter, fuel pump and fuel line to the carbs. Re-attach fuel line to the carbs and pump fresh fuel to them. Drain carb bowls again.
      Of course, you will need to have the fuel tank emptied and flushed and the fuel line to the primer bulb also. Any in-line filter will need to be replaced.
      Hope this helps, and let us know what all the dealer has to do to get that 21 year old Yammie running again [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

here is the correct procedure to try and save the motor. first of all, take the carbs off. you will need to tear them down anyway. remove the plugs. if started motor still works, turn the motor over for about 10 to 15 seconds. then stop for a few if starter gets warm. if not, keep turning over for the same amount of time till no water is seen shooting out the cylinders. give each cylinder a 5 second shot of fogging oil threw the plug holes and alsoin the intake of each cylinder. if carefull, you can push open the reed valves using the straw in the nozzle but make sure you hold the straw also. dont be worried about wasting the oil during this procedure. a whole can should be enough. now if the started wont work, you need to tear it down and clean the armature and brushes asap. forget trying to turn the motor over by hand cause you need the spped of the starter to make sure all the water gets sucked out the ports and blown out the cylinders. once you have all the water out and no rusty water runs out the spark plug holes after spinning over, you should have enough time to get the carbs and fuel system cleaned(if you get right on them). just draining the bowls will not be enough. you will need to tear down the carbs and blow out with compressed air and clean any jelled water you see. blow out all jets and orafice holes under brass plugs. you will need to disassemble the fuel pumps also. blow out all fuel lines with air also. install new plugs. you might have to blow off the spark plugs a few times cause there will still be water appearing on them and keeping them from firing. if you follow these instructions, you might get a few more good years out of your motor before the bearings start to go out. good luck.
        Michael Babuchna

Comment

Working...
        X