Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 115 HP Hard to Start

Hi,
    I have a two stroke, 115 HP outboard. It is a 1998 Model. Once it is started it runs very well and starts easily during the day. The problem is that it takes a long time to start when you try to start it the first time. It may sit a week or two between runs. I squeeze the fuel line ball until it is tight and pull out the manual choke and move the throttle lever to give it more gas. It turns over and over for a very long time before starting. Probably two to three minutes. Any ideas? The spark plugs are pretty new. Could they be the wrong type? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

djustham,
    When you pump the primer bulb, you are pushing fuel thru the local fuel filter and thru the fuel pump and on to the carbs.
    Make sure the local filter is clean.
    Remove the air intake silencer that is mounted on the carbs and pull the manual choke. The choke plates should close COMPLETELY. If you can move the plates more with your finger, then it is not closing completely. Adjust the choke linkage.
    Same goes for the electric choke.
    I don't suspect the fuel pump, but some boat owners replace the fuel pump every five years just as a preventive measure.
    Check your spark plugs - they should be NGK BR8HS-10, I believe - same as on my 2000 C115. Your owner's manual has it listed.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Thanks Ken,
      That gives me some good things to check. As far as the electric choke do you use it and the manual choke at the same time when first starting?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

djustham,
        I use the manual choke when first starting a cold motor - that way I know the choke plates are completely closed vs. the possiblilty the starting battery may be a little weak and the electric choke not doing the job as well - no need to use both chokes at the same time.
        After that initial start and the motor gets warmed up, I don't use either choke from then on, unless it has been, say, an hour or so since I last shut the motor down, and then I just use the electric choke until the motor fires.
        Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

I had the same problem and I replaced the CDI unit on my '95 C115. After that, I started right up. It continued to work great till I went away for 3 weeks and the boat swamped. I am trying to get it going again.

Comment

Working...
          X