Motor is in safe mode?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor is in safe mode?

I beleive that my 2000 Yamaha 150 is in safe mode/rpm reduction mode, due to overheating. how do i get it out of safe mode?

lester',
    If it has been at least three years since last water pump repair, get 'er done [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Thanks for the reply Ken, the water pump has been replaced and overheating problem is solved.
      the engine will run well in driveway, but not in the water. It idles at only 500 rpm and will not get on plane. the more throttle I give makes it want to die while under a load. Will only get up to 3300 rpm under a load and is not enough to get on plane. Some people have told me that the only way to get out of "safe mode" is to be put on diagnostic machine and have all codes cleared, and 1 told me that by turning off the key and back on clears "safe mode". I'm confused.

Comment

sounds like you are having fuel issues if it will get up to 3300. efi or carbs?

Comment

lester',
          When your Yamaha is in "safe mode", aka rpm reduction, the alarm sounds continuously - is your alarm going off all the time?
          When in rpm reduction, the ignition control will cause the motor to shake violently at any rpm above about 1000 rpm - the control is trying to tell the operator to cut back to idle and alleviate the problem.
          Rpm reduction is caused by either an overheat condition (thermo switches have reached 180 degrees f.) or the oil level in main tank has gotten too low (for oil injection models).
          Assuming your alarm is not going off, it sounds like either your carbs are clogged up with gum/varnish, or your fuel pump is bad.
          If your motor was allowed to set up without being run for a couple of months, then carbs are probably clogged.
          If you have recently switched over to ethanol blended fuel, that could be the cause of your problems with the carbs. Take a look at this article:

http://www.boatus.com/news/e10_0706.htm

If you haven't already, you need to install a 10 micron water separating fuel filter soon in your fuel line.
          Hope this helps - let us know what you find out [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
          Ken K

Comment

Thanks JB123 and Ken,
            It is a carborated motor. No ethanol fuel. No alarms since waterpump repair. The engine does not seem to skake violently. It does sound like it may have a slight miss at higher rpm. I will check the carbs and the fuel pump. I thought it might be a fuel problem but have had many other suggestions from others, causing frustration and confusion. The boat was just purchased from a dealer with no history given to me. Ive been trouble shooting ever since. I think the boat has been sitting for quite a while. I'll check the fuel system thourally. I'll Let everybody know what I find. Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Comment

Working...
            X