Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low end hesitation and oil smells like gas 25HP 4 stroke

Hello all,

I recently purchased a used 2000 Yamaha 25HP 4 stroke. I have a couple issues, I'm not much of a gear head so I can use your advice. When I'm running the motor and slowly creep up the RPMs it hesitates and acts like it will stall unless I decrease/increase throttle. I don't have a tach so I'm not sure of the RPM range, but it feels like it's just above the range that you get in neutral. Also, I don' think this happens when I'm backing down the throttle, only when increasing but don't quote me on that. I imagine I need to start by looking at the carbs? Is there a DYI manual for servicing carbs as I'm not very mechanically inclined? I've already changed the oil and installed new spark plugs according to the owners manual.

Also, I noticed when I did the oil change, I noticed the oil smelled a bit like gasoline. Is this normal? I haven't done a compression check and it doesn't seem to be burning oil so I'm not sure how to diagnose this or if it's even an issue.

Thanks all!

It sounds like the carb needs to be removed and cleaned. You can get the Yamaha service manual at http://www.yamaha-motor.com/
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X