Hard cold starting yam, 02', 130, 2 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard cold starting yam, 02', 130, 2 stroke

I having a lot of trouble starting my motor from a cold start. It cranks abount ten times an "pops" for a few seconds and quickly dies. It continues to do this for over a minute until I finally get it going. Once its warm it restarts quickly and runs great. I'm frustrated because everyone else's boat with much older motors fire up cold and run stong right off the go. I've checked the electric choke operation, cleaned the carbs w/berryman's, checked fuel filter, adjusted oil injection (was barely off), new gas, I don't have a racor yet. It seems to be fouling the plugs after a day out on the water too. "IF" the carbs are in good shape,and the oil injection is working properly, which I believe they are, what elese could foul the plugs or cause the hard cold starts??????

matt,
    Are your choke plates closing COMPLETELY when the choke is engaged? If not, then adjust linkage.
    Is the primer bulb pumping up til firm? If not, replace fuel pump and primer bulb.
    And your carbs may be clogged a little. I would do a shock treatment with SeaFoam or RingFree to see if that helps the "running rich" symptom. If not, pull all the jets and carb bowl drain plugs you can get to and squirt carb cleaner into orifices. If that does not help, then tear down carbs and clean and install kit.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

I did try shock treatment before removing the carbs and cleaning out the bowls (there was a little build up not much.) The choke is closing COMPLETELY I took it apart to double check, I veryfied this by trying to start it with the manual choke...same results.
      The primer bulb does firm up but I'm wondering if the pump diaphram has a leak? I will attack this next as it is inexpensive.

Comment

Matt,
        Sounds like you have covered everything pretty well.
        Just seems like fuel is not getting to the carbs from a cold start
        If your fuel pump is at least five years old, I would go ahead and replace - maybe that will fix the cold start problem.
        Good luck - let us know what you find [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

Working...
        X