Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP with 703 throttle and Trim switch

Hello All,

What goes up must come down right? no... My 90 HP 2 stroke will not move down from the 703 trim switch con*****er. Goes up no problem and works at the engine in both directions. I am thinking it is a wire in the con*****er/throttle that may have gotten loose or worn.

Looks like this con*****er can be tricky to work on. The rig is also getting old, 1989. Anyone have any ideas?

I also still have that stuck yellow indicator on the oil gauge. More on that in another post.

Thx
    Jon

you should have a blue green and a black coming out of your 703, swap the blue and green and see if it works only the OTHER way to see if your switch is bad. the boxes are not too tough to take apart but when reassembling, lift idler arm about 30%.

Comment

Jon,
      Go read the thread by "Mega_Me" dated Aug 21,'06.
      He had a very similiar problem with his 703 t/t switch.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

Thanks JB and Ken, you guys have given alot of good advice on this forum. I can't seem to find that post by Mega_me. I did see a few other that related to trim.

One thing I did not mention is that I did notice the down button was working intermitantly the other day. I had to press it 2-3 times before it engerigized trim downward. Now no sounds from the relay. So I would bet it is the switch or wires in the throttle handle. Is this switch replaceable? If need to take it apart, would rather replace than fix

thx
        Jon

Comment

Jon,
          Sorry - thread dated Aug 23 - here's the link:

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/c...c;f=1;t=003070

Ken K

Comment

Thanks Much Ken,

I did remember reading this one but no idea where... I will let everyone know I make out on this one. Thx Jon

Comment

the problem is in the switch. if carefull, you can remove it and clean it. scrape contacts with pocket knife to remove carbon. you might want to remove the battery cables from the battery or be ready for sudden movements when cleaning switch do to touching contacts with knife. this should fix the problem.
              Michael Babuchna

Comment

Thanks,

Before tearing this down do you think spraying a cleaner around the swicth could help? An electronics cleaner from radio shack or WD40 into the top and sides of that little switch. I am thinking the cleaner would work its way to the contacts. I don't think it would hurt...

thx
                Jon

Comment

no it wont get into the switch. it has a rubber boot around it. once you tear it down you will see. its not really that hard of a job.
                  Michael Babuchna

Comment

Hello All,

Update on this. Looks like it was chaffed wire in the 703 box. Fixed works fine now, everyones Happy..

Jon

Comment

Working...
                    X