87 70hp fuel problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 87 70hp fuel problem

The motor is hard to start and idles rough. I noticed the fuel line bulb never gets hard. Is the fuel bulb bad? I also noticed that the bulb is soft when running. The engine runs good except for the rough idle. I just did a shock treatment with seafoam which seems to have helped but the idle is still a little rough and it's hard to start. I put 3 new plugs in with no change. The carbs have never been off and it's the original fuel pump.

Jim,
    Since the motor runs good at high speed, the fuel pump is ok. But being that old, it would not hurt to go ahead and replace it - some owners replace fuel pumps every five years on average just as preventive maintenance.
    Hard starting could be clogged low speed jets, or fuel from the primer bulb not getting to the carbs, or the choke plates not closing completely.
    If it were me, I would replace the fuel pump and primer bulb first.
    Check and clean the local filter.
    Then, check the choke plates to make sure they are closing completely when the choke is engaged - if not, then adjust linkage.
    Remove all of the jets and carb bowl drain plugs you can get to and squirt some Berryman's Chemtool into the orifices. If that does not help with the rough idle, then time to tear down carbs, clean, and install a kit.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Working...
    X